The Soul War
War of Souls (Pre-Purge)
(Preliminary information. Needs tightening.)
- The nation of Bael Turath have always considered themselves superior to all the other nations on Alphai
- Time and again, Bael Turath tried to exert it’s will over the rest of the world, and time and again they were defeated by their ancient enemies, the Dragonborn of Arkhosia.
- The nobility of Bael Turath made a deal with beings from the Nine Hells. In exchange for the souls of their people, they would gain immesurable power.
- The people of Bael Turath were changed into forms that were more ‘suitable’ for the nobility’s demonic hordes (tieflings.) The nobility were changed into either undead avatars for the demon princes, or granted the power of lichdom.
- Bael Turath attacked Arkhosia, Arkhosia retaliated, starting the War of Souls.
- The War went on for almost a century, neither kingdom gaining an upper hand.
- Bael Turath began making overtures to other neighboring countries, promising power in exchange for aid.
- After the first attacks from BT’s new allies, the Arkhosians put out a call to arms to defend their realm, and the realms of all free peoples.
- Thus the War of Souls became a global war, with atrocities done on all sides.
- After another hundred years, both BT and Ark became more desperate in their attacks. BT began opening portals to the Elemental Chaos and Shadowfell, summoning otherworldly creatures to be more powerful troops.
- The Dragons, the ancient symbols of Arkhosian society, long thought to have left this world, were rediscovered. Arkhosia petitioned them for aid, but they refused. Arkhosian mages created Dragon Orbs to control dragons and use them as weapons against their enemies. The use of such magnificent beasts horrified the Arkhosian allies.
- Bael Turathian mages discovered an ancient spell that could lay waste to the entire world, leaving them alone to pick up the pieces. Once word of this reached their partners, they rebelled against BT and began to fight against them.
- Both sides—Akhosian allies and BT allies signed a truce and focused their efforts on stopping the Soul War that could conceivably destroy their world.
- Strike forces made their way into both Arkhosia and BT, trying to either stop the BT spell, free the Dragons, or destroy the Soulwell that continually fed the BT war machine.
- The BT spell goes off, however something goes wrong, and it only affects Arkhosia, raining firey devastation upon the land. Also, the spell taints all the magical energies in the world. This taint will eventually lead to the Purging of all magic from Alphai in a thousand years.
- The rest of Alphai’s kingdoms, horrified at the destruction of an entire country and its inhabitants, rally together and take down Bael Turath once and for all.
- The nobles of BT are hunted down and killed. The Soulwell is destroyed. Tieflings, once controlled by demonic entities, are now in control of themselves.
- The alliance of nations, inspired by what they accomplished together, remains together as a new empire—the Nerian empire. This empire lasts until the Purge.